Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My husband received a citation books and the code they

Customer Question

My husband received a citation for log books and the code they listed on ticket is 480.17. is this correct and should he try to fight this ticket to remove CSA points?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were written for a violation of the motor carrier statute, then MI Code 480.17 would be the catchall statement for all violations under the act. So no matter what the violation is under the MCA in MI, 480.17 that is titled "Violation of Act; penalties." So that would be the proper charge.
If his log books were correct or even close to correct then fighting the citation to avoid the points is a good idea. The reason for going to court and pleading not guilty is because you can then request a meeting with the prosecutor and in those meetings you could negotiate to reduce the charge to an equipment violation, which would incur no points and that happens regularly.