Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I was charged with reckless driving. Passing on the right.

Customer Question

I was charged with reckless driving. Passing on the right. And improper passing. Cutting in. It's a misdemeanor summons. It happened at 6:15 am Sunday morning on the way to work. I was running late. I work for the St. Of
Ct. In health care. The officer said it was unlikely that I would lose my license but said I might have to take a safe driving course. What is likely to happen. Should I get a lawyer. He clocked me at 100 mph.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
A first-time reckless driving charge in Connecticut has a 30-day maximum jail sentence and a fine of up to $300. The police officer is right. You don't generally lose your license for this offense. However, this is not a traffic offense. It is, as you have rightfully pointed out, a misdemeanor. That means a plea of guilty to this charge or a conviction after trial will give you a criminal record.
A criminal record could cost you your employment. If you are in health care and have a license, it could jeopardize that as well. With this in mind you certainly should retain counsel and have him with you when you get to court on your arraignment.
Reckless driving is generally charged when there is excessive speeding. It's possible, however, that a lawyer can negotiate that the reckless driving charge be dismissed and that you plead to just a moving violation, for which you can take the safe driving course and lose some or all of the points you end up with.