Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

So I had a DUI last July. I recieved a traffic ticket

Customer Question

So I had a DUI last July. I recieved a traffic ticket for 10 over today. Does this affect my driving status?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Was your license already suspended when you were stopped today for speeding, or was it already reinstated after the DUI? Over the past year, have you had any other moving violations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have had my license back since Jan,The DUI last July is the only other offense in the past year. I have paid all fines related to the DUI. I was under the impression my self probation included 1 year after the completion of the 6 month driving penalty without a moving vlolation. This was 35 in a 25.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't see anything in Iowa law that requires the suspension of your license unless it is your third driving offense in a year, or it was a DUI, or you were driving on a suspended license, failed to pay a fine, refused to take a blood tests, or owe child support payments.
So I'd like to say that this will not affect your license and cause it to be suspended. That said, if the specific terms of your probation requires no moving violations for a year, that can certainly trigger another suspension if you are found guilty of the moving violation.
I do not know your probation terms. You have them somewhere in writing and should take a look at them. If it confirms your suspicion, it wouldn't hurt you to hire a traffic lawyer and see if you can beat the traffic ticket or get it reduced to a non-moving violation, either of which would solve the problem.