Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

My husband was in an accident while driving home from

Customer Question

Hi, my husband was in an accident while driving home from work. He called 911 to report the accident and waited for them to come but when the cops got there he realized that he didn't have his license with him. He left it home. Since his license was suspended and he was driving with a conditional license(a piece of paper that he got from DMV), the cops arrested him. I took a picture of his license and texted to him but they said they still have to arrest him. I need to know if they are going to keep him in jail over or longer. Do I need a lawyer? Please help!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

I cannot possibly tell you what the police intend to do with your husband. They are not allowed to hold him for more than 48 hours without charging him with something. That means they could release him within 48 hours, or they could charge him and hold him until he is brought before the judge and arraigned. Then he could be released in court or bail could be set so you can get him out.

A lawyer could see him in jail, which you cannot do right now and find out more about his matter than the police would be likely to tell you. If he is charged with a crime, he would certainly benefit by having a lawyer.

If he was entitled to drive when and where he was driving, under the terms of his conditional license, the case will not amount to much of anything simply because he didn't have the conditional license with him in his car. If he was not driving according to the terms of his conditional license, he will be facing a new suspension of his license and a criminal charge