Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I was in an intersection when the light turned red, having entered on a yellow and choosin

Customer Question

I was in an intersection when the light turned red, having entered on a yellow and choosing to coast through the intersection instead of hitting the brakes going downhill in the rain with my children in the car. The officer which wrote the ticket listed CT 14-299 and wrote "Stop Sign" even though it was a Stop Light. The actual infraction was at a stop light and would be covered under 14-299, but since he wrote "Stop Sign" and gave the statute for Stop Lights, would that be enough to plead Not Guilty?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Yes, that's enough to fight the case. You could go to the corner and take a photo of the intersection and be prepared to show that there was no stop sign where the accident. Then you could get the police officer to commit to the fact that you ran a stop sign and impeach him with the photo showing there's no stop sign. You could make an argument that it's clear that the officer could not have observed what he claimed to have done and that he also has no present recollection of what happened at that intersection and ask for the charges to be dismissed.