Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Asst State Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

Bought car in January 2015 from Medford Oregon, one week after

Customer Question

Bought car in January 2015 from Medford Oregon, one week after having car it broke down, they fixed it after much hassle. On May 15 the car broke down again and they gave another hassle. Now they are saying the transmission is going out. They want me to pay for it, I have only had car 4 months. What are my rights?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Is this car new or used?
Was it sold as is or with a warranty?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a used car and they sold me the car with 1 month of warranty
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Is the current mechanical issue the same as caused the problem one week after it was purchased? Is it something covered by the warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first time was a computer issue now the second time it apparently has something to do with the transmission. And they don't offer warranty for the cars. And if I let them keep the car will it any way affect my credit.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you let them keep the car it will not affect your credit if you negotiate a voluntary repossession and include a provision that the parties stipulate that the value of the car equals the balance due on the note.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do you mean a provision that's the parties stipulate that the car equals the balance due on the note.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I mean you negotiate a settlement to voluntarily return the car to the lender holding the note. If they will agree that the return of the car repays the note then it will not affect your credit.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?