Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

If I never had a CDL license before in the state of Georgia

Customer Question

Hello,if I never had a CDL license before in the state of Georgia can it be suspended.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am applying for a postal job and the background investigating company General Information Services (GIS). When I received my background information from them it showed my 2 tickets that I already knew I had one in 2012 and the other in 2014. Together I accrued 5 points on my license. However, it also showed that my CDL license had been Suspended I would assume because of the points and the label of " serious traffic violation due to excess speeding of 15 miles over the speed limit. Here's the deal though I DON'T HAVE A CDL LISCENSE NOR HAVE I EVER APPLIED FOR ONE. Please give me information does the state of Georgia have the right to suspend you for a license that a person never had or applied for due to some speeding tickets.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you never had a CDL, then this has to be a computer error. Any state can issue a suspension request against an out of state or in state driver's license for unpaid tickets or for violations and for an out of state license they have to do so by sending the request to the state where the person is licensed and it is up to that state under the Interstate Violator's Compact to issue the suspension until the matter is cleared up in the state where the violation occurred.
So, if you never had a CDL, then you need to contact GA DMV to find out what they are talking about regarding the CDL and you have to clear that up through GA DMV. If the citations have not yet been paid, that has to be done as well. If they have been paid, then you need to get proof of payment from the court where they were issued and provide that to DMV and also to GIS.
However, again, if you never had a CDL, this is an error that GA DMV has to correct upon you contacting them and providing them proof.