CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I live in Lincoln NE. was at the mall and I swiped a car.

Customer Question

I live in Lincoln NE. was at the mall and I swiped a car. It damaged to my car but I could not see any damage on the other vehicle, so I did not leave my contact information. Later in the day a Lincoln cop called me and asked me if I had been at the mall and I said yes. He told me that I had actually done some minor damage to the fender of the vehicle that I swiped. He gave me a ticket for Careless driving and I was fined $148. The policemen gave me the info for the STOP class. I paid the ticket and wasn't worried any more about it.
I just received notice that I need to appear in court because another charge was added to my citation. It was 60-696/Leave accident-failure to furnish info. I did not know that this was added to my citation and now I have a failure to appear note on my record. The notice I just received in the mail said this is not a waiverable charge so I must appear in court. I am to signup for a 1*****time on Monday through Friday. to resolve this matter.
What should I do? I feel I need to contact a lawyer for advice and have one defend me I see it is classified as a class 2 misdeamor with a max sentence of 6 months in jail and/or $1000 fine. Is this what I will be sentenced with?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
It is much more likely that you will receive a lesser sentence (usually a fine), but if you wish to retain a lawyer (having a traffic lawyer represent you usually will result in a lessened sentence) you can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).Whether you retain a lawyer or not, do not miss the court appearance.