Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 15 years experience
19958803

I got a speeding ticket 22 mph over in Kentucky and

Customer Question

I got a speeding ticket for going 22 mph over in Kentucky and I want to pay the fine now however it is past due (may 26th was my scheduled court date). what do i do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
The best thing you can do at this point is to contact the clerk's office, explain that you accidentally missed your court date and see if they can redocket the case for another date. If the judge hasn't issued a warrant for failure to appear, then the clerks can usually just put you on another calendar docket for the same judge a week or two out.
.
You can also ask the clerk if they can just extend the court date so that you can pay any fine for the ticket instead of appearing in court.
.
The clerks are usually pretty good at working with someone and the judges have given them a limited amount of discretion to deal with rescheduling things.
.
But the key is to contact them immediately, as in tomorrow morning, and be very apologetic and tell them that you missed court and are really scared that a warrant is out. Is there any way they could help you out.. They like that because if they can, it is a little victory for them in an otherwise dreary day..
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the chances they have issued a warrant?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
If you were scheduled to appear in court yesterday and didn't do so, most judges will go ahead and issue a bench warrant for failure to appear. But if you contact them tomorrow and explain, then sometimes the judges will give the clerk the power to set aside the warrant and reschedule the case.
.
But once again, the longer this goes, the less helpful the clerks can be and the more likely a warrant won't be set aside.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if they do not set aside the warrant? Also what is a bench warrant?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
If they won't set it aside, then you will have to hire an attorney to contact the traffic court prosecutor to see if they will agree to a joint motion to recall the warrant and convert it to a summons.
.
Otherwise, you will have the warrant outstanding until you turn yourself in or come in contact with law enforcement who will be obligated to arrest you and transport you to jail to await seeing the judge.
.
A bench warrant is just the term for an arrest warrant that the judge issues from the "bench" as he is presiding over court.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go ahead and call first thing tomorrow morning. Am I in serious trouble?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Missing a traffic court date is not a good thing, but it can be undone if you act quickly and the judge has granted the clerks the power to reschedule missed cases. In some counties the judge grants the clerks more discretion to do this and in others I have seen they are very strict.
.
If they have already processed a warrant, then it goes up a notch in trouble and cost because you either have to arrange to turn yourself in and spend a little time in jail before you see the judge and have to explain why you missed court or hire a lawyer to see if they can get the warrant recalled.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this go on my permanent record?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
The ticket will stay on your record indefinitely, but it only counts against a driving record for 2 years.
.
If you have a warrant issued, unless it gets recalled, it would show up indefinitely as well until it is executed.
.
.
thanks