Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I got two tickets inspection and Refusal to

Customer Question

I got two tickets for Fraudulent inspection and Refusal to inspect. iI did not know it was fake . what to do in court not to get points and anything in my insurance because have no job right now.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under, N.J.S.A. 39:8-9(c), A person who fraudulently obtains a certificate of approval, rejection sticker or waiver certificate, or displays or has in his possession a fictitious, altered, or stolen certificate of approval, rejection sticker or waiver certificate shall be subject to a fine of $500 for each such certificate or sticker.
Your first step here is to go get your car properly inspected BEFORE your court date. If you can prove that your car passed inspection from a proper inspector, then the court will consider this and your lack of knowledge that the other inspection was fraudulent in deciding to dismiss BOTH charges AND you agree to testify against the party who conducted the fraudulent inspection.
Once you get the new proper inspection done, get the information from them and you need to bring it to court to show the prosecutor and if there were any violations on the inspection you need to prove those were corrected as well. The prosecutor will in most cases agree to dismiss both of these citations if you did so and agree to help with prosecution of the fraudulent inspector.