Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have received a "red light" violation from the city of Sco

Customer Question

I have received a "red light" violation from the city of Scottsdale. The ticket is for $306. If I acknowledge this I am considered guilty and will also have to take a driving class. The violation was photographed at the intersection of McDowell and Scottsdale, I was making a left hand turn at 19 miles per hour.
What I don't understand is why this is considered a red light violation, and the pictures do not show the traffic light and the fact there was a car immediately behind me.
Is there anyway I can contest this and save more than $500.00?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: The ticket is not enforceable unless you are personally served with a notice to appear in Court for hearing. So, you may ignore the ticket unless you are personally served. See Arizona Revised Statutes Sections 28-1591 to 28-1602 especially Section 28-1602 for what you need to do or not do when you receive a photo radar ticket in Arizona:
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/01602.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS
http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=28