LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

I got a ticket for "failure to obey traffic signal". First

Customer Question

I got a ticket for "failure to obey traffic signal". First picture shows me stopped.. second picture shows me turning right (Chambers/north)on red ( from Iliff /west bound) while traffic on the cross street (Chambers,/south bound)is going straight, or turning east on Iliff ( no northbound traffic on Chambers!) There are no signs prohibiting turning on red... and in the second picture ALL thru AND turning traffic from the first picture has cleared the intersection. I would like to contest the ticket, as I feel it is erroneous, as I KNOW I made a complete, though brief stop. Is there a "time requirement" for stopping on red light IF I have verified that there is not hazard to turn right on red light?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
The issue I see here is that a still picture does not show motion, and so there will be an issue whether the picture you claim shows you stopped merely showed you in motion at a given point in the roadway. But that ambiguity can work to your benefit as a still camera can’t prove that you failed to stop.
As for any tome requirement of the stop, there is no minimum time that your vehicle must be stopped. Being stopped is the cessation of movement, forward or backward in the street, and a stop of even a quarter of a second---so long as the stop is complete, is a legal stop and if traffic and conditions are adequate, you may then proceed to make a legal turn.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug