Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.
18572087

I bought a used Audi, 2003, everything great about car except

Customer Question

I bought a used Audi, 2003, everything great about car except I ahve appt with someone to look at why transmission issues happening day 1 of owning, which is today. I know the car was sold as-is, but was told it is mechanically good, all working, but by time we got home, check engine lite on for transmission control electrical open or short. I have appt to look at tomorrow. Can I return within 3 days (not sure period I have avail) if car turns out to have major costs.. this is why we bought a 2nd car, other one was costing too much
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer that I will provide you with is likely not the one you were hoping to hear, so please do not blame the messenger. There is no such thing as a law for a 3 day 'right of rescission' (right to return) for used cars. The only state that grants some sort of a limited right to return is California, and is for a brand new car, the period of time is 2 days, and that option has to be purchased at the time of sale. Once you purchase a vehicle, the sale is final unless the contract itself has a clause or language permitting you to return the vehicle early. You may have grounds to claim that you were materially misrepresented but if you purchased it from an individual you are likely trapped in the deal--from a dealer you can potentially demand repairs so that the vehicle is 'fit for a particular purpose', specifically being driven safely on the road.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.