Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

I have been required to go to the city court clerk's office

Customer Question

I have been required to go to the city court clerk's office to set a court date for "Running a red light" and "Hit and run attended vehicle". I never received a written citation from the officers when they detained me on the violation date. What should I expect?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
Are you asking about the court process itself? Or what the possible punishment might be? Or something else?
Thanks,
Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why am I being required to personally go to the clerk's office and not have it set over the phone? Do I need to expect arrest at that time? Officers detained me for suspicion of DUI, but I was never charged or taken to jail. They had the opportunity and didn't. I have never been charged, arrested, or convicted of the two cited violations and they never brought up DUI charges.
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 1 year ago.
It's impossible for me to know why they are having you go in person. I would find it extremely odd if you were arrested at that date. It may be too serve you a copy of the citations since you never receive them before. I would certainly speak to a local criminal defense attorney before you do anything.