Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

Can I legally park a motorcycle in San Francisco on a short end of unpainted sidewalk (usu

Customer Question

Can I legally park a motorcycle in San Francisco on a short end of unpainted sidewalk (usually found street corners)? 90 degrees, rear wheel touching a curb
San Francisco
|
__________|
| my motorcycle
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
The motorcycle parking statute says that at least one wheel of a motorcycle must be touching the right-hand curb. Cal. Veh. Code, Section 22502. So, that's OK.
As long as you weren't in a crosswalk, blocking a driveway, or blocking a curb ramp (for wheelchairs), there isn't anything specific in the statute that prohibits parking on the sidewalk near an intersection. The only other reason there would be an issue is if the city had posted signs in the area that limit parking to certain times, require a permit, or if you'd been in the same spot for more than 72 hours.