Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of legal experience, including traffic law
12176198

In the mail, I just received a demerit points warning

Customer Question

Hello. In the mail, I just received a demerit points warning notice explaining that I currently have 6 points on my New Hampshire driver's license for 2 speeding tickets that I received this year (1 in January, 1 in March). Unfortunately, I just received another speeding ticket in the small town of Candia about 2 weeks ago for a speed of 25mph over the posted limit. The warning notice says that should I continue to add conviction, my license shall by subjected to a suspension of up to 1 year. However, the NH point system says that I have to accumulate a total of 12 points in 1 calendar year to receive up to 3 months suspension. If I pay my most recent speeding ticket, that will put 10 points on my license. Looking for some clarification whether or not it will actually be suspended.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.
Hello. You are correct about the points required. You probably have already looked at this site, but here it is for reference:http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/financial-responsibility/demerit.htm Many states (including the one where I live) send out warning letters when you are around halfway to the point total that could get you suspended. In New Hampshire, as you can see from the site above, there are many six point violations. So had you picked up one of those on top of the six points you already have, you would have been subject to a suspension for that, hence the warning. If you are concerned about your point total, you can take a driver improvement class to reduce it for the purposes of license suspension:http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/financial-responsibility/improvement.htm
Hope this helps!