How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 106926
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hit and Run on Parked Car - Kenner, LA

Resolved Question:

Hi. I just saw that you answered a similar question so I figured I would ask as well. I have no prior traffic court history or criminal record and an officer just came to my door with a ticket for "hit and run" at the Park N Fly near the airport.


I pulled into a spot that was too tight, reversed, and moved to another spot. I thought I might have tapped the other car, but never enough to make any sort of damage. Before I had a chance to walk down to the other car, the shuttle pulled up to my car to pick me up for airport. I asked Officer for contact information for the owner of the other car, but he said he could not give out. Obviously, I am willing to pay any insurance claims that would be come of this for them.


This was a Kenner Police officer that came to me. Are the laws in Kenner, Louisiana different/more strict than Orleans Parish, Louisiana? Is it normally just a max fine of $500 + court fees or is there jail time involved? Also, do you think that I need to get an attorney for something like this or am I able to show up for the court date myself? Thanks so much.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The laws are the same in Kenner and Orleans and Jefferson and all around the state as far as what constitutes a hit and run. However, what is different is that fines differ from city to city and parish to parish. If you were charged with RS14:100 or the Kenner ordinance this is a misdemeanor criminal offense so you need to get yourself an attorney locally and seek to get the DA to work out some deal with you such as a lowering of the charge to failure to report an accident or to agree to let you pay the fine in exchange for him dismissing the citation. The attorney will negotiate these things with the DA and obtain the information on the owner of the other vehicle and make sure you can settle with them, since if they do not show up in court or do not agree to prosecute this is another reason it can get dismissed.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. The Traffic ticket says 7-65 under the type and section and then Hit and Run under "describe." Is that RS:14:100?

Also, when investigating an attorney, what is the typical charge for a case like this? I have never had to use one and do not want to get overcharged.

Thanks so much for your help! You have been very helpful.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

That is the Kenner municipal ordinance violation which reads the same as RS 14:100.

Sec. 7-65. Hit-and-run driving.permanent link to this piece of content

(a) Hit-and-run driving is the intentional failure of the driver of a vehicle involved in or causing any accident, to stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident, to give his or her identity, and to render reasonable aid.

(b)For the purpose of this section:

(1)"To give his or her identity," means that the driver of any vehicle involved in any accident shall give his or her name, address, and the license number of his or her vehicle, or shall report the accident to the police.

(2) "Vehicle" includes a watercraft.

An attorney will charge roughly between $300 and $500 to keep this off of your record and keep you from having a criminal municipal record as the charge can carry up to 90 days in jail.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 106926
Experience: Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own practice.
  • Ely's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp. with Traffic Law issues
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 year experience including traffic law.
  • SoloLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in traffic law, traffic stops, DUI, drugs, ARD, family law, criminal defense and personal injury.

Related Traffic Law Questions