Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law

Hit and Run on Parked Car - Kenner, LA

Hi. I just saw that you answered a similar question so I figured I would ask as well. I have no prior traffic court history or criminal record and an officer just came to my door with a ticket for "hit and run" at the Park N Fly near the airport.

I pulled into a spot that was too tight, reversed, and moved to another spot. I thought I might have tapped the other car, but never enough to make any sort of damage. Before I had a chance to walk down to the other car, the shuttle pulled up to my car to pick me up for airport. I asked Officer for contact information for the owner of the other car, but he said he could not give out. Obviously, I am willing to pay any insurance claims that would be come of this for them.

This was a Kenner Police officer that came to me. Are the laws in Kenner, Louisiana different/more strict than Orleans Parish, Louisiana? Is it normally just a max fine of $500 + court fees or is there jail time involved? Also, do you think that I need to get an attorney for something like this or am I able to show up for the court date myself? Thanks so much.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The laws are the same in Kenner and Orleans and Jefferson and all around the state as far as what constitutes a hit and run. However, what is different is that fines differ from city to city and parish to parish. If you were charged with RS14:100 or the Kenner ordinance this is a misdemeanor criminal offense so you need to get yourself an attorney locally and seek to get the DA to work out some deal with you such as a lowering of the charge to failure to report an accident or to agree to let you pay the fine in exchange for him dismissing the citation. The attorney will negotiate these things with the DA and obtain the information on the owner of the other vehicle and make sure you can settle with them, since if they do not show up in court or do not agree to prosecute this is another reason it can get dismissed.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. The Traffic ticket says 7-65 under the type and section and then Hit and Run under "describe." Is that RS:14:100?

Also, when investigating an attorney, what is the typical charge for a case like this? I have never had to use one and do not want to get overcharged.

Thanks so much for your help! You have been very helpful.

Thank you for your response.

That is the Kenner municipal ordinance violation which reads the same as RS 14:100.

Sec. 7-65. Hit-and-run driving.permanent link to this piece of content

(a) Hit-and-run driving is the intentional failure of the driver of a vehicle involved in or causing any accident, to stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident, to give his or her identity, and to render reasonable aid.

(b)For the purpose of this section:

(1)"To give his or her identity," means that the driver of any vehicle involved in any accident shall give his or her name, address, and the license number of his or her vehicle, or shall report the accident to the police.

(2) "Vehicle" includes a watercraft.

An attorney will charge roughly between $300 and $500 to keep this off of your record and keep you from having a criminal municipal record as the charge can carry up to 90 days in jail.