lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Nationally recognized expert on traffic laws and violations.

Hello, I live in Wisconsin. My daughter is moving to Vermont.

I live in Wisconsin. My daughter is moving to Vermont. She wants to take one of my vehicles that is registered in my name. I was wondering if I can still have it registered in my name in Wisconsin and she can keep it in Vermont.
Thank You,

lwpat :

Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service. Hi Heidi. I will be assisting you today. You can allow here to drive it in Vermont and keep it registered in your name. The real question is whether you really want to do that or not. I assume that your daughter is over 18. If the car is registered in your name and she is involved in an accident, then you would be sued along with her. This may not be a liability that you want to assume since it could put your personal assets at risk. Further, you would want to notify your insurance company and let them know that she is the primary driver. Otherwise they could deny coverage if there was an accident.

lwpat :

I would suggest that you give her the vehicle and let her register it in Vermont. She will have to change her driver's license to that state once she moves.

lwpat :

If you do allow her to drive the vehicle and it remains in your name, be sure that you have sufficient insurance coverage including uninsured and underinsured coverage or purchase an umbrella policy for yourself.

lwpat :

I see that you are offline. I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance and please continue if you need further clarification.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I sell her the vehicle will she have to pay sales tax in Vermont or Wisconsin?

I am not sure about the exact regulations in Wisconsin but normally you can gift her the car and it is exempt from sales tax since it is from a parent. You would probably want to first transfer it in Wisconsin and then let her register it in Vermont. That will probably be easier.
Thank you very much. I wish you and your daughter all the best.