CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases

In Michigan I got a ticket for turning left on a yellow light

In Michigan I got a ticket for turning left on a yellow light when their was no one coming in the oncoming lanes I have seen a lot of this and is it a law u cant?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Can you please share with me the statute/code the officer charged you with? It should be listed on the face of the citation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

257.649-6 stop sign violation she had to cross it off and write stop light on the line. In the remarks she put ran yellow light

Thank you for the additional information. First, there could be an issue with an improper amendment to the citation. You need to be charged under the proper statute/code and if the officer alleged you violated the code for a stop sign but then crossed it off and wrote a stop light, those are two different things. There could be a basis to dismiss based upon the fact alone that the allegation written on the ticket does not match the code under which you are charged. Moreover, the officer may have wrote it based upon where your vehicle was positioned when making the left. If it was already in the rode way, waiting to turn left once traffic had passed, you could have a defense. Based upon the way the officer wrote you ran the yellow light, they may be alleging it was already yellow when you proceeded and should have slowed down and waited. That however is a question for trial, since the officer would have to testify as well as you. When you appear this afternoon, if it is your first appearance and not the trial, you can always ask for the case to be dismissed based upon the improper amendment and the officer trying to change the code and allege something which is not applicable. If you blew a stop sign, you would need to be charged under the correct code. Same goes for running a light. The officer should not be mixing one code and changing the language to apply.