Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

There is word of a protest by truckers wherein they intend

There is word of a protest by truckers wherein they intend to block all lanes of the Beltway around DC starting on Friday and through the weekend. I know Maryland has laws regarding impeding the flow of traffic. I am curious as to which specific laws would be violated when they do this.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.

Maryland Code § 21-804. Minimum speed regulation.

(a) Slow speed impeding traffic prohibited.- Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle or otherwise is in compliance with law, a person may not willfully drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

(b) Establishment of minimum speed limits by State or local authorities.-

(1) If, on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation, the State Highway Administration or a local authority determines that slow speeds on any part of a highway in its jurisdiction impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the State Highway Administration or the local authority may establish a minimum speed limit for that part of the highway.

(2) Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle or otherwise is in compliance with law, a person may not drive a vehicle below a minimum speed limit established under this subsection.

(3) A minimum speed limit established under this subsection is effective when posted on appropriate signs giving notice of the limit.

(c) Class A (passenger) or Class M (multipurpose) vehicle.- A person may not drive a class A (passenger) or class M (multipurpose) vehicle on a highway if the maximum speed capability of the vehicle does not exceed the posted maximum speed limit for the highway by at least 5 miles per hour.

The fine is about $200 with court costs and it is one point on your MD license. See: MD Fines.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.