Nate, Attorney
Experience:  Eight years of fighting traffic infractions.
11217539

My husband was issued a citation for expired plates. The vehicle

My husband was issued a citation for expired plates. The vehicle is registered in my name and I was with him and knew that I had renewed the plates in May with all of the others in our household. I told the officer I had renewed the plates and he said he ran them through the BMV and they are expired. So he issued the citation and told us he could technically impound the truck and make us walk. When we got home we looked at the plate and the sticker said 13. However, I know I renewed it. I looked in an old stack of mail and found the renewed registration and brand new plate. The truck had been registeted the entire time. There was just a new plate issued and we had not put it in the truck yet since we dont drive it often. We just drove it that night to pick up a large package. So....my questions......
1. Is it possible to get the citation dropped since the vehicle was legally registered the entire time?
2. Does the citation require my husband to appear in court?
3. If we can fight it, how do we go about doing that?
4. Why would the officer not have been able to see the truck was registered?

Lots of questions I know. I thank you in advance for your time.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Nate replied 11 months ago.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

There are a few questions, but the answer overlaps nicely on them all.

First, he will have to appear in court. He should take the new tag and registration with him. In my experience, if you can show that your tag was registered at the time, the state will dismiss the citation. That is how you would defend it in court.

As for the officer not seeing that it was registered, there are two possibilities. One is that he ran the tag, but you have a new tag, so the old tag would only come back expired. The other is simply that the law says you must display a valid and unexpired tag on your vehicle. Either one would have applied here.

So, you husband just needs to go to court with the new tag and registration and explain (as you have) why the tag had not yet been put on the truck. Most likely the citation will be dismissed.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. If we have a lawyer or talk to the clerk or prosecutor in advance is there any way we can settle it without going to court?
Expert:  Nate replied 11 months ago.
Maybe. That depends on how the district attorney and judge operate. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Nate, Attorney
Experience: Eight years of fighting traffic infractions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again