Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 year experience including traffic law.
4460311

I was issued citation for going 78 in a 55. I have a court

I was issued citation for going 78 in a 55. I have a court appearance. What can i expect?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Were you charged with reckless driving on the citation?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I was not

I see. That is good news for you since the officer could have cited you for that under these circumstances, which could involve a much more serious penalty including possible jail time and having your license suspended.

Based on a speeding citation which is not reckless driving, you can normally expect 3 points to be assessed against your license following a conviction for speeding over 55mph, but you can seek the court's approval to attend traffic school in order to avoid the points from being assessed against your license.

Here is a link which provides information on this:

http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/point-reduction.php

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, will I be charged with a misdemeanor that will stay on my record? Will I be charged a fine?

Hello again, Rachel.

Yes, it is considered a misdemeanor, but a driving offense, so it is typically excluded from a criminal record although it is reported against your license if you do not take the traffic school.

The amount of the fine should be listed on your ticket. If you take a traffic course, there will typically be a fee for that as well, but you should save significant insurance costs since your insurance will not increase.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only thing that was listed on the ticket was the court date, so I have no idea what to expect as far as a fine.

I see. The clerk of the court would have that information if you call them. The fines are not published on-line. If you provide me with the county where you were cited, I'd be happy to look for that contact information if your ticket does not provide it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Onlsow county, NC

I see. The county District Court would typically have jurisdiction over your case and the contact information for that court is included at the bottom of the following page:

http://www.nccourts.org/County/Onslow/Staff/District.asp