LawyerLady07, Attorney
Experience:  I'm able to provide information on all traffic offenses.

Fine of violation based on video/camera proof The village

Fine of violation based on video/camera proof

The village of a town sent a violation notice putting $100 fine due to violation of "no turn(right turn) on red sign".
There is a sign of NO TURN(right turn) on RED at an intersection. The vehicle failed to completely stop but slowed almost stop before making the turn. It was a violation technically. But there is no sign of "photo/video enforce" to notice driver that video is in place to enforce the village ordiance. "photo/video enforce" seems in place at least in other town/city. The driver paid the fine but felt not fair. In fact in the video, another car following this one also failed to completely stop. It seems the village make a lot of money this way. Is it legal put a hidden video on any traffice light or stop sign and record violation and make money this way?
Good morning!

I'd be happy to help you with your legal inquiry.

Unfortunately, there is no requirement for the town or village to put up signs indicating there is "photo/video enforcement." In fact most of the cameras at intersections are designed to be hidden so that people will not notice them. If the driver wishes to challenge the photo/video, he/she is entitled to be present at the hearing to put on evidence. However, it sounds to me like the driver in this scenario is admitting that there was a violation.

Even though it may appear to be unfair to many drivers, it is legal for the town to put up these cameras without notice.

If you have follow-up questions, feel free to reply to this answer. If not, please don't forget to rate your answer. Best of luck!