Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.
18572087

Hi Dimitry - I recd. a call from the adjuster of the lady who

Hi Dimitry - I recd. a call from the adjuster of the lady who was the person who rear-ended the guy who rear ended me.

She says she accepts liability. So there are 2 options:

I can go with my insurance or go with her and get it done. Do you know which one is preferred? She said she is not sure about the Car seat and if it's not damaged, they might not be able to give me money for it. CA law, as she said, only allows for $150 while mine is around $380..If the car seat is okay, should I just continue using it? I was a little uncomfortable with doing that but if that's the rule and it's not damaged interior wise, then probably its ok?

Dimitry K., Esq. :

Thank you for your question, and thank you most kindly for requesting me to assist you this evening.

Dimitry K., Esq. :

It is always better to pursue someone else's insurance rather than your won.

Dimitry K., Esq. :

*own

Dimitry K., Esq. :

Your own insurance company may potentially increase your premiums if they themselves ended up having to pay for the damages.

Dimitry K., Esq. :

They likewise cannot replace undamaged property, so if the car seat is fine, it will not be covered

Dimitry K., Esq. :

But if it is actually damaged you can demand full value as replacement cost.

Dimitry K., Esq. :

Hope that helps!

Customer:

hmm yes it does

Customer:

allright so I will go with them

Customer:

that's the smoothest way right?

Customer:

I will try asking her about the depreciation/potential carfax thing too..see how it goes..doesnt look like she will give me anything on that one

Customer:

I should inform my claims rep about me going with her right now correct?

Dimitry K., Esq. :

Great, good to hear. And yes, you should inform the rep about pursuing benefits from the other insurer, but state that if they do not cover al expenses as you reasonably request, you reserve the right to get your own insurer involved.

Customer:

oh ok sure I will...actually all people involved in this case belong to the same insurance co.

Customer:

but yeah I will do that

Customer:

but like you said, if i did end up going to my insurance, they might bump up the rates..so I will have to weigh that out..

Dimitry K., Esq. :

Correct, and that is why typically working with 'their' insurer, even if that is also 'your' insurer, is wiser.

Customer:

allright cool!

Customer:

thanks a lot

Dimitry K., Esq. :

Glad to help!

Dimitry K., Esq. :

Please let me know how it goes!