Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.

DWI question

I got pulled over in Shorewood Wisconsin and was given 2 citations for DWI, 6 points each, totaling 12 points, first offence, originally had all of my 12 points. Can I apply for an occupational license to get to and from work? Or is it a suspension with no exceptions? Please advise.

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

If this is your first DWI in Wisconsin, you would be eligible to apply for an occupational license, which would allow you to drive on a limited basis: to work, classes, and other necessary places. You will need SR-22 insurance to be able to get the occupational license.

One cannot obtain one instantly. Depending upon the facts and circumstances of your case you have to wait at least 30 days, and maybe as much as 6 months in order to be eligible to apply. Your lawyer can probably tell you how long to expect to wait, but failing that, the state allows you to check your eligibility for an occupational license online. You can see Wisconsin's eligibility requirements and the link to check when you'll be able to apply for the occupational license here.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This is my first DWI. The form I got says "30 days from the notice date listed in the box above your operating privilege will be suspended and a order of suspension will be sent to me. Does that mean I can drive until then? My court date is scheduled for 10/2/13.

Hi Geneva,

Sorry for the delay. I am still waking up here.

Yes, it means what it says. Your driving privileges have not yet been suspended and won't be until 30 days from the date shown on your letter.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your help. What I did was stupid and going to be very costly. Do you know of any good attorneys here in the Milwaukee area that can get all of this started for me ASAP? I am very satisfied with your expertice and help. Thank you.

I'm sorry but the site does not allow us to make direct referrals to attorneys or law firms. What I can do, however, would be to put you in touch with the same referral services that lawyers use themselves when they need to consult with someone on an out of town matter and don't know anyone.

One such source is the Wisconsin Bar Association's Lawyer referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50 for the referral, but it includes a free half hour consultation with the lawyer. A very reliable commercial referral service is Martindale.com. Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which customers tend to find useful.
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience: 18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.