Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Asst State Attorney/Hearing Officer

What happens if I received a speeding ticket because of a car

What happens if I received a speeding ticket because of a car was speeding in the passing lane and I was not speeding in the right-hand lane following a car also doing the speed limit? The time it happened was at night around 8:30 p.m.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Are you saying that the officer pulled over your car by mistake?

How did the officer clock your speed (radar, stopwatch, etc.)?

Was anyone in your car besides you when you were pulled over?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the car in the passing lane was traveling faster than we were and had to slow up because of the next to me. The ticket stated he was using radar. No, I was alone. I am a Pennsylvania resident.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, your only chance is to go to court and present your version of what happened. Radar tends to return the biggest and fastest signature. So, mistakes are possible on older models. Newer models have more accurate sites, some even use laser. Those are extremely accurate and tough to beat in court with the scenario you describe.

Without a corroborating witness it is really going to depend on the judge you draw. Some, as I am sure you know, are more sympathetic to the police than others.

You may want to check with the clerk of the traffic court in the county where the ticket was issued to see if online traffic school is available. It could keep the points off your license and be a fairly painless way to resolve this, if available.

Otherwise, your choices are to pay the ticket or roll the dice in court.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.
Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.