Nate, Attorney
Experience:  Eight years of fighting traffic infractions.

I am currently working through my first DUI charge in the state

I am currently working through my first DUI charge in the state of Vermont that requires I attend an alcohol treatment program "CRASH" in which upon completion, my license can be reinstated. My Vermont license is no longer suspended, but I would need to complete this program in order to reinstate. I've done research into CO DUI laws requiring a person with my BAC .08 and above to spend a minor prison sentence and up to 48 hours community service as result of a first offense. I'm moving to Breckenridge at the end of the month. I know CO and VT participate in the DMV reciprocation so my question is what will it take for me to get a CO at this time? Thank you
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions.

Cross state license reinstatement is one of the more tricky legal situations. In most circumstances, there is no good answer. Based on what you've stated, I'm gathering your suspension period is over, but your license is still technically suspended until you complete the class and pay whatever fees are required for reinstatement.

Is it logistically not possible at all to do the treatment program at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is logistically not possible for me to complete the treatment program at this time. What would i have to do to get my CO license?

This is where the tricky part comes into play. The issue can only be resolved in the state of the origination of your suspension. There is nothing you can do with Colorado as long as Vermont is showing your license as suspended. There are a couple things you may need to do.

First, find a similar treatment program in Colorado. Once you've done that, contact the DMV in Vermont and inform them of you're situation and ask for a waiver to substitute this other program. They may say yes, and they may so no. They are bureaucrats, after all.

If they say no, you're going to need to get your lawyer to file a motion in the court where you were convicted asking the court to order the reinstatement of your license once the Colorado course is completed. You can waive your presence or appear by phone. With that order, you can go back to the Vermont DMV and get the reinstatement process completed.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.