Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

Hello Sir I have what might sound like a dumb question to

Hello Sir
I have what might sound like a dumb question to ask an attorney but not sure where else to turn and seeing as you are former law enforcement hoping you can help.

My 23 year old step daughter is getting married on Sunday. She originally invited her natural father of whom she has been trying to develop a relationship with despite the fact he has not been part of her life. Over the past week or so he has threaten to ruin her wedding by creating all sort of non sense and drama at the wedding. She has now asked him not to attend, the issue is he is defiant that he is coming and doesnt care about her wishes at this point. The wedding venue was not contracted by him nor paid by him. Is there anything I can do to legally prevent him from coming? yes I know I can call the local police to remove him upon his arrival Sunday however by that time the damage is done. Any advise or direction is appreciated.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes I am

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Customer:

thanks for taking my question.

Alex J. Esq. :

Your question is not dumb at all, and believe it or not, I have dealt with similar situation before, but they actually involved a funeral and a family reunion and not a wedding...

Alex J. Esq. :

But the same issue of an unwanted and uninvited guest who was going to cause issue.

Alex J. Esq. :

Is the wedding this upcoming Sunday?

Customer:

Yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Where does the father reside and where is the wedding going to take place? City / State?

Customer:

he lives in winchester va and wedding in sterling va about 40 miles apart.

Alex J. Esq. :

Thank you for your follow up.

Alex J. Esq. :

Did the father make any threats in writing?

Customer:

As well for clarification he was invited however she wants to uninvite.

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand.

Customer:

no written threats

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, it will be pretty much difficult to stop father from showing up at the wedding, aside from having a security at the entrance to prevent him from entering.

Alex J. Esq. :

However, your daughter would want to document the fact that she does not want her father at the wedding.

Alex J. Esq. :

Would your daughter be inclined to hire a local attorney and have this attorney draft a letter and have the letter served on the father which would state that the father is not welcome at the wedding and if he does show up, that your daughter will pursue any civil and criminal recourse available to her?

Customer:

I can talk to her about it..... is that her only course of action at this point? Just out of curiosity what civil recourse would be available to he if he did show?

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, if the father causes any type of trouble, he can be sued for the damages that his actions cause.

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, it is important to document the fact that your daughter does not want the father present at her wedding.

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, if he shows up, your daughter will be able to call 911 immediately and the police will instruct the father to leave and he will have to comply or risk being arrested.

Customer:

yeah the problem is her wedding gets ruined by that point. Another question if she sends him registered letter from herself does it make the same point legally?

Alex J. Esq. :

It would, but the father likely won't sign for it before Sunday.

Alex J. Esq. :

She can also contact the local police department, where the wedding is to take place and report this issue and see if police at their discretion can call the father and tell him not to show up or face trespassing charges.

Alex J. Esq. :

Police doesn't have to do it, but they might at their discretion.

Customer:

ok thanks

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry that you have to deal with such unpleasant situation on the happiest day of your daughter's and your life, but absent some type of documented threat or some other criminal action, it would be difficult to get police to be proactive.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer