socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  retired (mostly)
10097515

This is about car ownership in the USA . I am in Mexico

This is about car ownership in the USA .

I am in Mexico and thinking of buying a car for next nothing off a friend who needs to leave Mex. The car has California USA plates and is titled and registered to my friend. . Because of the state I am ins laws , I can drive the car here within state and that's what i plan to do, never take it back to USA.
But my friend wants the option in the future to bring in another USA car so he wants me to put the car in my name , do transfer of title.

Here's my question. Can we do this. I fly out to California and change the title. And not have to register the car as I won't be driving there in USA.
Please advise me on the procedure and if it is possible to just change the title but not register the car. And if I did this, are there repercussions ???
ALso I live in NY , does this complicate matters further?? Thanks Fiona
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

If the vehicle is already located in Mexico, then you could retitle the vehicle in California and register it as "planned non operation." The fee is $19.00. That's about as cheap as you could make this deal work.

For info on the transfer process, see this link.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi , if I buy the car and do the state of California Certificate of Title change . I have a NY addtess and I have a greencard.

What will happen if I don't register the car?

Also, can a person who has a car in Mexico bring in another vehicle.?

Thank you, Fiona

A: If the car is not located in California, then nothing will happen, because you're not operating the vehicle in California.

Also, can a person who has a car in Mexico bring in another vehicle?

A: I am not sufficiently conversant in Mexico law to answer this question. There is no U.S. law that prevents a person from driving a vehicle across the border, as long as it is owned by the driver.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: retired (mostly)