Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.

I missed my court date for my speeding ticket. Can I just pay

I missed my court date for my speeding ticket. Can I just pay the fine and go on about my business or do i need to do something else?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Call the courthouse. It's possible that when you did not appear, the judge entered a bench warrant for your arrest or suspended your driver's license. If that is what happened, the next step is to schedule a court appearance where you go in, explain to the judge what happened, and ask him to recall the warrant. Unfortunately, just paying the ticket now won't resolve those additional issues. If police stop someone that has a bench warrant, they have the ability to take the person to jail and impound the car - if it happens to be a weekend, you could end up sitting in jail, and you don't want that to happen.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.