Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 years exp in driving issues
20355756

2 years ago, I co-signed with my ex boyfriend to have his car

2 years ago, I co-signed with my ex boyfriend to have his car under both his name and my name. We broke up about 5 months ago, and I want to get the car out of my name. 6 months ago he told me that he was selling the car, so I signed the title over to him. The title is in his possession, in front of his house, 45 minutes away from me, he can't drive it because he crashed it, and there is no loan or anything that needs to be paid on it (He paid cash up front for the car) but the property tax thus far still needs to be paid, which I gave him the other day. All I want to do is get the car out of my name, so I can move on and get away from him forever. I don't know what steps I would need to take in order to get his done? Do I go to the DMV and get a new title? Then call a tow-truck and take the car from the front of his house? Then return the plates to the DMV? I can't get the plates off of the car, one plate is on the outside, the other plate is in the front of the windshield (never fit on the front bumper.) I do not have the keys for the car and he is not willing to man up and go to DMV to re-register the car in his own name. What should I do? Also, I think the car's registration expires at the end of October? If he gets tickets for it, they will come to me? Please help me get out of this mess!! Thank you!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there

-

My suggestion here is to get a duplicate title from the DMV and sign it over to him again and then bring it to the DMV yourself and apply for a new title in his name to be sent to his house. If for some reason the DMV will not let you file it without his consent (generally the DMV doesnt ask for consent paperwork due to the number of dealers changing over titles and registrations every day) I then suggest you sign the title over again and take copies of it. Then send him a letter and tell him that you are no longer responsible for anything that happens to the car and that you suggest that he get the title to the DMV to file it and change it over as soon as possible because if the fact that the car is still in your name costs you any money you will sue him for any costs that it may cost you in the long run. Send the letter by certified mail and by regular mail with proof of mailing. Then keep copies of everything in the event that anything happens and someone tries to pursue you then you have proof that you signed off on ownership. If he does not pay the property tax and you are pursued for it then I suggest you pay it directly so you will not lose your license over it and then take him to small claims court for repayment of it immediately after the payment. In the event you actually get into a lawsuit situation with him you can ask the judge to issue some kind of fine against him if he fails to change the ownership over even after the matter has gone to court (in order to get it into court in the first place, though, you have to have some monetary debt against him / charges that he owes to you).

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. THANK YOU

Legalease, Attorney
Experience: 15 years exp in driving issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I just need to get one original copy of the title from the DMV? What specifically do I send to him in the mail, just a letter and a copy of the signed title that I received from the DMV, if they don’t let me change the title over to him myself, and stating what you proposed? What happens if the car is still sitting in the same spot once the plates expire and the registration is not renewed? Will I get fined for this?

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Jennifer --

-

Sign the title over to him again and send him the original signed title to take to the DMV (you keep a copy of both front and back and a copy of the letter). The letter should say what I suggested earlier (it does not have to be exact -- I cannot write the letter for you because this website is for educational purposes only and I could get dismissed if I go that far into representation, so I hope you understand. I am just permitted to offer you suggestions). If you get a notice of a fine then you should contest it and go to a hearing with the copies and let them know that you are trying to get him to put the car in his name. If they still fine you then you take him into small claims court for the monies that you end up having to pay out of your own pocket to take care of these matters.

-

I notice that you have 4 answered questions but have only rated one of the answers so far. If you are on a subscription or trial plan you can press a rating for each question answered and it will not cost any additional money. If you do not rate each answer then the expert who answered you will never be paid anything (including me unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below). Once you have several answered questions that you have not rated the experts will stop answering your questions because they are afraid that you will not positively rate the answer and they will not be paid (we are permitted to answer or not answer any question that we choose to address or leave on the board and once a customer has not pressed positive accepts for a few questions the experts tend to stop answering any further questions). I am just explaining that to you in case you do not quite understand how the website works.

-

MARY