Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in traffic law, traffic stops, DUI, drugs, ARD, family law, criminal defense and personal injury.

I received a traffic violation for failure to stop at a red

I received a traffic violation for failure to stop at a red light. I was in the far right lane, left only turn, onto an overpass over the river. As I approached the intersection I slowed down once the light turned yellow and it was still yellow once I arrived at the cross walk. I was driving 16 miles per hour and I felt once I saw the red light that if I stopped suddenly I would stop in the cross walk, which is illegal, and there was no other traffic going in the direction I was turning so no wreckless or danger to anyone else. I slowed down, yielded to the yellow light, and turned right even though the light turned red right at the moment I hit the cross walk. So how can I be charged with a traffic violation for failing to stop at a red light, when if I would have I would committed a traffic violation for stopping in a crosswalk, impeding pedestrian or bicycle traffic?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is Andrea

I know exactly what you are saying. That happened to me, but I went through a yellow light because when I looked in my rear view mirror, the car behind me was speeding and I knew for a fact that if I stopped at the yellow light, that car was going to push me right through the windshield. The police officer didn't care, I got a ticket for going through a red light that was not even red. I did not fight it because that Township is very corrupt and everyone is a "good ole boy".

If your City or Town is not like mine, and they will listen to a rational argument (which yours is very rational), then plead "Not Guilty" and ask for a hearing. Do not be intimidated by the police officer when he takes the stand. He is going to say that you went through a red light and that you never slowed down. Do not let him shake you up. Tell your story exactly the way you wrote it here. If you brought in a diagram on poster board, it might make the Judge see your point clearer. And, tell him that you would have been stuck in the middle, regardless of what you did, so you chose the lesser of two evils,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The presumtive fee is $260. If I go to trial and by chance lose, can the judge impose a higher fee?

Hi, James,

If that is the fine for failure to obey a traffic signal, then the Judge cannot impose a higher amount as a fine. He can, however, lower the amount, so you will lose nothing by asking,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. of experience in traffic law, traffic stops, DUI, drugs, ARD, family law, criminal defense and personal injury.