S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable attorney.
70026054

I have a family better that was charged with Curse and Abuse

I have a family better that was charged with Curse and Abuse and I wanted to see what can happen with this charge
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

shuband :

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. What state is this charged in?

Customer:

Virgina

Customer:

Virginia

shuband :

Thank you. I'm a XXXXX XXXXXcensed criminal defense attorney. Please give me a moment while I look at the code to refresh my memory.

shuband :

Thanks for your patience. 18.2-416 is a class 3 misdemeanor. That means a maximum fine of $500.00 if convicted.

shuband :

Did you have any other questions or concerns about this topic?

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

When selecting an attorney should I look for a criminal attorney this case is in juvenile and domestic court

Customer:

they plaintiff is a minor

Customer:

Can you be sued or anything from this charge

shuband :

This is a criminal charge, so you need a criminal defense attorney. If you do not know one, consult the Virginia State Bar attorney referral service. They can help point you in the right direction.

shuband :

As for being sued, probably not. There's no physical injury.

shuband :

The only other cause of action civilly would be "intentional infliction of emotional distress."

shuband :

If there is no injury, you can't sure for IIED in Virginia.

shuband :

(Physical injury)

shuband :

Sorry about my typo, what I meant is that you can't "sue" for IIED in Virginia without a physical injury.

Customer:

Okay thanks

Customer:

Is there any possibility of jail time

shuband :

No, a class 3 misdemeanor has a maximum penalty of $500. There is no jail time possible if convicted.

Customer:

Ok thanks

shuband :

You're welcome. Anything else I can do to help you?

shuband :

I hope my responses have been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Doing so will NOT cost you any additional fee.

Take care,
Shuband

S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Experienced, and knowledgeable attorney.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Take care,
Shuband

I was notified that you rated the answer I gave positively, and I am very pleased and gratified that I was able to help you. I sincerely hope the matter(s) we discussed turn out well for you.

Please ask for me in the future if you have additional questions or concerns. Thank you very much for the opportunity to assist you.

Take care,
Shuband