socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  retired (mostly)

I was under the impression that red traffic light in Los Angeles

I was under the impression that red traffic light in Los Angeles was shut down. I was on driving on La Brea and the light was very short yellow and then went red. I was traveling under the speed limit but had made a quick stop I would have been re-ended. I was surprised to find out this ticket was part of west hollywood are they considered different then LA?

West Hollywood is a different municipality from Los Angeles, though both are in Los Angeles County. The City of Los Angeles ended its red light camera program on July 31, 2011.This has no effect on West Hollywood.

Please let me know if I can be further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ticket is referred to the LA county sherif and LA Superior Court which from another post on this site a year ago I under stand LA Superior Court is no longer referring these red light tickets to DMV and are not enforcing them is the case in West Hollywood? West Hollywood is in the County of LA.

The Superior court will hear any traffic violation that is filed by a law enforcement in the county. L.A. City voluntarily chose to abandon its automated enforcement program. West Hollywood has not. Even if a ticket were issued in L.A. City, the court would hear the case.

The point I'm making here is that it's not the court that is refusing to accept the cases. It's the city of LA that is refusing to use the photo radar enforcement systems.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Things are always busy for the Norm. I hope to be in touch with you soon! If you haven't heard from me in a week or so...Please try back again. Mostly likely I got your message and silly me I forgot or the natives have captured me. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I am stil in the woods here, sorry. I understand the West Hollywood cameras are the oldest and most aggressive for city revenues and battling audits and system where you guilty entering the court on these matters and I have to prof my innocent without very limited information and out dated camera and a image that very blurring and winds of judge and not jury and can't not show in the image at the time the light was yellow when I entered the intersection and it flashed straight to RED as a strange got you moment. Also the large construction site on La Brea blocks any advanaced warning of that sign, plus the skateboard the entered the street on the opposite side and was chased by some kid thus causing me to slow down in the middle of the intersection. So I am asking If I refuse to answer this citation will the court report this to the DMV. Is there enforcement on this ticket at this time?

Effective, January 1, 2013 a number of revisions were made to the automated photo enforcement laws in the California Vehicle and Evidence Code, for the purposes of trying to remedy defects which were declared in numerous California appellate court rulings during the previous five years. Consequently, most of the appellate cases are considered overruled at this time, and the process of trying to defeat photo red light tickets in California must be repeated, because the case law that prevented most of the enforcement has now been nullified by the later legislative enactments.

At this time, absent some new challenge, if you fail to appear and answer the complaint, a warrant for failure to appear will issue against you from the court, which is a misdemeanor with a $1,000 fine and up to one year jail, and you will have to explain to the judge why you never appeared, in addition to having to fight the underlying ticket.

The ticket is valid and enforceable, though, someone may again come along with another successful appeal, and things may turn around again.

Hope this helps.