Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney in traffic and driving issues

Is there any recourse to contesting non-speeding moving violations

Is there any recourse to contesting non-speeding moving violations in Massachusetts if one has missed the 20 day period specified on the ticket?
Thank you for your question. I will do my best to answer your question. Please note that this does not constitute legal advice as I do not know all the specific facts of your situation. We have not created an attorney-client relationship simply through this communication. Also, please be aware that these communications are NOT confidential or private, and are located on a public web site.

It is difficult to contest a ticket such as this one after the 20 day period has passed. You have the option of filing a motion with the court indicating why you were unable to respond to the ticket within 20 days and asking the court to give you additional time for "good cause." In all candor, this is generally a losing argument and judges have broad discretion to grant or deny these requests. Filing such a motion will also require you to appear in court.

If you are interested in seeking additional time for "good cause," I would file the motion with the court ask soon as possible. Filing it a day or two after the expiration of the 20 day period shows the judge you didn't simply blow off the ticket.

However, if the ticket will not result in the suspension of your license, it is probably better to just pay the fine. Challenging any traffic ticket is difficult enough, but the added barrier of needing to obtain additional time from the judge means, in all honesty, that your chance of success is fairly low.

Please let me know if I can clarify any of my remarks.