Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed Attorney

I got a photo radar ticket at Wilshire and Whittier in Beverly

I got a photo radar ticket at Wilshire and Whittier in Beverly Hills. It was me clearly in the photo - the light changed so fast - anyway - I can pay it but by doing so will it be reported to the DMV and my insurance company? What is the best course of action to avoid it on my record?
Hello there:

Thank you for your question. The LA Superior Court is declining to report the convictions to the DMV due to budget constraints, so it doesn't have the same bite as it would otherwise. Without it being reported to the DMV, there are no points put on the person's record, the DMV isn't reporting it to the driver's insurance company (obviously, since the DMV doesn't know when it happens), and a driver's license can't be suspended for non-payment of the fine. However, an unpaid ticket can still go into collections which may damage the person's credit rating, but that's typically the extent of what the city can do if they want enforcement.

Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if I pay the ticket to avoid any damage to my credit will it get reported to DMV and insurance or do they just cash the check and not report it?
Regardless of whether you pay the ticket, it will not be reported to the DMV or your insurance company. If you were in any county other than Los Angeles County, the conviction would be reported to the DMV, you would receive points on your license, and your insurance company would be notified. However, because L.A. County is suffering significant resource shortages, red light photo tickets are not being reported to the DMV and the drivers' insurance company is not being informed of the violations regardless of whether the driver pays.