Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.

I received a traffic ticket for running a red light. The officer who pulled me over said

I received a traffic ticket for running a red light. The officer who pulled me over said that I could go to court to potentially get a reduced fine, but I am unclear as to whether or not I plead guilty or not guilty on my ticket that I need to mail in. From reading info on the PA dmv website, I see that if I plead not guilty that I may lose the option to plead to a lesser charge and that if I plead guilty I just mail in my fine and don't go to court. Which is my best option?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The way to request a lower fine is to go to the court, talk to the DA, and ask them if they will give you a lower fine if you plead guilty. They usually agree. You only mail the ticket in if you want to plead not guilty and request a trial without going to court or if you want to plead guilty and just pay the fine. Otherwise, you take the ticket with you to the courthouse at the date they gave you and enter your plea in person.

A person who pleads not guilty by mail and requests a trail cannot negotiate a lower fine or ask for lesser charges. A person who goes into the court can. Once a deal is reached, then you go in front of the judge, he is told what was agreed to, and then you plead guilty. If it's not possible to reach an agreement, you still have the option of pleading not guilty and requesting a full trial.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.