Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer

I was given a speeding ticket for going 71 in a 55 zone. This

I was given a speeding ticket for going 71 in a 55 zone. This is my first speeding ticket in over 20 years and only my second moving violation in more than 20 years. Should I please guilty or ask for a hearing?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex Esquire :

What state were you cited in?

Customer:

NY - upstate

Alex Esquire :

How were you clocked speeding by the officer?

Alex Esquire :

Was a radar used?

Customer:

Radar, Stalker Dual

Alex Esquire :

It is difficult to contest speeding tickets that are based on the radar reading, however it is always a good idea to plead not guilty and to request a hearing.

Alex Esquire :

The reason is that speeding conviction on your driving record would cause for your insurance premium to go up.

Customer:

What would I say at the hearing? Just share my good record? Would it help me much to have it changed to 69mph rather that 71?

Alex Esquire :

In many cases, the prosecutor would be willing to offer for you to enter a plea deal, where you might be able to plead guilty to a reduced moving or even a non-moving violation or at least not to have points assessed against you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you planing to hire a local traffic defense attorney?

Customer:

Not planning to hire one.

Alex Esquire :

Basically, you would approach a prosecutor and would let him know that you wish to plead not guilty. Also if you do not believe that you were speeding at the time you would let the prosecutor know that and would bring up your perfect driving record.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Thanks.

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer