CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  8 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

I was heading up a street that was one lane going and another

I was heading up a street that was one lane going and another lane coming... I made a left, into a parking spot. In doing so, I crossed a double solid line. People do that ALL that time, I've done that MANY times in that same area, in Burbank CA, because I thought it was allowed, just like people cross double lines to turn into parking entrances or to turn into a back or a building.The officer rold me there was a sign for no left turns, I thought it was for the street light up ahead... he said no. But he'd let then the sign things slide but was giving me a ticket for crossing the double line. Can anything be done to fight this. I always see people turn into those spots. Even if I had seen him, on his bike, I would turned, I truly believed it was permitted. The ticket is liek $285 and I could've kept driving had we know, I was in no hurry....
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. While I believe you thought your turn was legal, the fact is, the law does now allow it and if your drive on the roadways, you agree and acknowledge to follow the rules. As such, it is not a legal defense to say that you thought what you were doing was legal and you had not intent on violating the law. In order to fight this, you need to have a legal defense. If you do not have a defense, then the only way to beat this ticket would be to take the case to trial and hope the officer either fails to show or appears but does not recollect the event. If the officer is unable to testify, the Judge will dismiss the case. You can always appear in court and explain the circumstances to the Judge, asking him/her to use that as a mitigating factor, which may allow them to reduce the fine imposed. Was it a mistake? Yes. Unfortunately, it is not a defense to fight this, when relying on the actions of other drivers ( which are illegal) or explaining to the Judge that you did not know.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I were to go to trial, representing myself, because having a lawyer would cost me... and the officer does show up and recollect what happened... will I still be allowed to go to traffic school? I have never had a ticket before in my life. I am 34 years old and have been driving since I was 16. I don't understand how the officer can say to me, "I'll give you a warning for not seeing the no left turn here into the spaces, but you did cross a double line so I will write you up for that." Technically, if he is forgiving about me not seeing the do not make a left turn here, wouldn't it be logical that if I didn't see the sign, that is why I made a left turn? His logic is off. Obviously, if I would have seen the sign, I wouldn't have made that turn and crossed those double lines.....

I want to flag down an officer to explain to me when it is ok to cross double lines because people do it ALL the time to turn into driveways and such.... and just in case I don't write back after this, based on your response, I will give you a good rating and thank you for your help.

If the officer does appear and the case goes to trial and you are found guilty or you decide to change your plea, the sentence imposed would be at the discretion of the Judge. That fact that you have never received a citation before is certainly a mitigating factor for the court to consider and it is possible that traffic school may still be allowed and imposed by the court.
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience: 8 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases