How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 20079
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp. with Traffic Law issues
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi..I need to know what do to in my situation. I got pulled

This answer was rated:

Hi..I need to know what do to in my situation. I got pulled over for speeding and the car at the time wasn't registered yet. I went to court the day I was permitted to go and while there, they changed the court date to a later time in which I physically could not attend due to an emergency family issue in another state. This was almost ten yrs ago..I haven't been back to New York since now and contacted the DMV to get my issue resolved and they tell me that due to the fact that its been over nine years, they can't tell me what to do as they can't pull up any of my information. Please help!


Thank you for the information and your question. Are you saying that you never paid your tickets? Do you currently have a driver license and, if so, in what State? What has brought about your desire to resolve this issue now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I never had a ticket to pay..I had to attend court and could not make it when they rescheduled. I lived in Florida taking care of my mother and never resolved anything! Years went by, I have been getting by with a valid I.d. But no license. Now that I am back in the area of Albany, I have he time and money to get things resolved. I called the DMV and they told me that since its been so long, they don't have any bring up my driving record to see what I have to do. I don't have a drivers license number..I have no license at all.
Hello again and thank you for your reply, however, something in your facts is not adding up. In order to have a court date, you had to have been issued a citation. You said you got stopped for speeding and for no registration, is that what your court date was for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Because the cars temporary 30 day license expired and I was still driving that's what my court date was for..the speeding was just a warning.
Thank you for clarifying that. Well, unfortunately, this is not going to be as easy as going to the DMV and paying to get your license reinstated. There is a bigger issue here and that is a failure to appear and a probably bench warrant for your arrest for not showing up to court to resolve the expired registration issue. Although this could have been handled fairly simply at the time by requesting a continuance until you were available, now you will have to hire an attorney to go to court with you and clear up, not only the original issue, but more importantly the failure to appear and the warrant.

There is a chance that if you hire a local criminal defense, or traffic law attorney, that they might be able to contact the prosecutor's office and arrange to have you just appear in court and straighten this all out without being arrested, but you will definitely have to close that loop before you can apply for a new DL. You will likely have to take your driving tests over again since you apparently have not had a DL recently (unless you had one in FL). But again, you will need to close the loop with the courts before you can think about the DMV.

You might try calling the county sheriff's department where you were to go to court to see if they have a warrant for you, or you can ask your attorney to do that.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD and 3 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you