Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 year experience including traffic law.

I was in a fender bender where I am at fault. The other driver

I was in a fender bender where I am at fault. The other driver and I agreed that we can "settle" the damages to her car without going through the insurance companies (we exchanged insurance info). So, assuming that i paid for her damages, do we need to both sign an "agreement" that this issue has been resolved? (To protect against her claiming insurance/police report later)

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

In which state did the accident occur? In which state do you reside?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - thanks for your help. I reside in CA and the accident was in CA. I was backing up while she was changing lanes into my lane. She was essentially in my blind spot...

I see. You are very welcome,

Yes, you should typically sign a Settlement and Mutual Release of Claims to prevent any legal action from being taken against you in the future by the other driver.

Here is a link I located for you which provides a sample agreement for you can use as a template in your case:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.