Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My 20 yr old son had accident and injured his friend as he

My 20 yr old son had accident and injured his friend as he was a passenger. He was on our insurance my husband cosigned. My husband is being sued and his son. We live in nj can we be held at fault and be sued???
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Please tell me whether you or your husband are owners or co-owners of the vehicle
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband cosigned for car
Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately your husband can be held liable under a legal principal called vicarious liability. According to this principal an owner or co-owner of a vehicle can be held liable for the negligence of the driver.

You also mentioned that the action names both your son and husband. It is likely under this principle of vicarious liability that your husband has been included in the action.

Since you have $500,000 in coverage, your insurance would pay the damages up to $500,000. If an award were to exceed $500,000,your husband could be held liable

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.