Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

Hi, I have been issued with Civil traffic tickets (Driving

Hi, I have been issued with Civil traffic tickets (Driving Without License and Expired Registration). What should I do? Currently, I have Philippine driver's license but was not able to check that is already expired. Can I just settle it without attending court hearing? I'm planning to get US license this week and renew my registration. BTW, I am in AZ (Chandler Court, Maricopa County).

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Hi. Good evening.

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Alex Esquire :

Were this tickets issued to you in Arizona?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

actually just earlier

Alex Esquire :

How long have you been living in the US?

Customer:

I come and go

Customer:

but total of 2 years and 8 months

Customer:

my last entry was march 31

Alex Esquire :

Please give me a minute to look up some information for you

Customer:

thanks.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have a copy of your citation in front of you?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

what do you want to know?

Alex Esquire :

Can you tell me the exact statute number you are accused of violating?

Customer:

is that the section #

Alex Esquire :

yes

Customer:

ARS 28-3151A, 28-2153A, 28-4135A

Alex Esquire :

thank you!

Alex Esquire :

Was your vehicle impounded?

Customer:

nope

Alex Esquire :

That is good news, as police could have impounded your vehicle for 30 days.

Customer:

but i have an insurance, it's just that the one i have in the car was the old one. but the insurance is still valid.

Alex Esquire :

The car would be impounded because of the unlicensed driving violation.

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, you could not drive on your foreign license, if you have been in the US for more than 30 days and required to obtain a US driver license.

Customer:

yes, actually i started applying. when i took the exam i failed so i'm scheduled to take the 2nd time

Alex Esquire :

Well, unfortunately your could be fined and your license can be suspended for the unlicensed driving charge.

Alex Esquire :

Which would mean that you would apply for a US license however it would remain suspended for the period of time ordered by the judge.

Alex Esquire :

There is no way to avoid dealing with these 3 tickets.

Customer:

so i should attend the court hearing? or can i just pay the fine?

Alex Esquire :

So the best way to do for you, is to hire an experienced local traffic defense attorney and this attorney might be able to get this violations reduced to a lower offense and to help you avoid a driver license suspension.

Alex Esquire :

It is never a good idea to simply pay fines, as if you plead guilty and pay fines, your license could be suspended and also points would be assessed against your driver license, causing increase in your insurance premium.

Customer:

how long will the suspension be?

Alex Esquire :

If you do have valid insurance coverage, than you would need to provide proof of insurance to the judge and it is likely the driving without insurance ticket would get dismissed.

Alex Esquire :

It can be for up to 12 months.

Customer:

i mean if i can just plead guilty and avoid court hearing?

Customer:

is that possible?

Alex Esquire :

No

Alex Esquire :

if you do, you could be subject to your driver license suspension and also points.

Alex Esquire :

It is up to you.

Alex Esquire :

But the best course of action is to consult and retain local traffic defense attorney to help you resolve these citations.

Alex Esquire :

Are you still driving your vehicle?

Customer:

because i read in the official website of Chandler court that i can call them earlier and arrange for early settlement

Alex Esquire :

You can try to negotiate some type of plea with the prosecutor on your own, but I would not do it without a local attorney.

Alex Esquire :

But it is up to you.

Alex Esquire :

I could only provide you with the correct information.

Alex Esquire :

The choice as far as what to do is entirely yours.

Customer:

Alright then. Thanks for your help.

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck. Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

Alright. thanks

Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer