Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Hello The plates on my

Customer Question

Hello
The plates on my vehicle were suspended on nov 5, 2012 due to not returning some type of verification form. I moved in 2010 and all mail was forwarded for one year and then returned for 6 months. My insurance never lapsed. I live in a large building with three units, a possible reason the form never got to me. Is this a defense. I was also in the Secretary of states office two weeks previous to renew my license and asked if there were any issues. They said none and I got my new license.

What is the best course of action
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Hello
The plates on my vehicle were suspended on nov 5, 2012 due to not returning some type of verification form. I moved in 2010 and all mail was forwarded for one year and then returned for 6 months. My insurance never lapsed. I live in a large building with three units, a possible reason the form never got to me. Is this a defense. I was also in the Secretary of states office two weeks previous to renew my license and asked if there were any issues. They said none and I got my new license
.

Response: Yes, it is a defense. You cannot be held liable for something that you never received. Also, because you inquired about any pending items when you went to renew your license and you were told that everything was okay should mitigate in your favor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello

I recieved what amount to a traffic/business citation that has a 1,000.00

minimum fine in illinois. If I present the date of renewal on license and forwarded mail from the previous year from the state, and the letter from my insurance carrier, will that be enough

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello

could you please address that this is traffic law. or point to a citation that will cover this.

thanks

jeremy XXXXX

Response: This may not be enough. Nevertheless, you may consider also doing an Affidavit stating your name and address, what happened, just like you did in your initial post and attach to the Affidavit your supporting documents.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why in one response do you say I can not be held liable and in the next it may not be enough

jeremy XXXX

Response: The answers may appear to be conflicting, but they are not. I answered the questions that you asked. Just because you are not going to be held liable does not make you do not have to provide adequate evidence in order to get the benefit that you are seeking. The current information that you intend to provide showing that you did not receive notice may be deemed insufficient by the registry. That's why I suggested that you also do an Affidavit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Who can provide the questions in an affidavit. do I need to hire an attorney.

thanks

jeremy XXXXX

Response: Hello Jeremy: You do not provide questions in an Affidavit. Affidavit is simply a statement made by you under oath regarding the circumstances surrounding your case—descriptions of why you did not get the notice. This statement should be signed in front of a Notary Public. You do not need an Attorney to do an Affidavit.

Here is a sample Affidavit:

http://www.legalzoom.com/download/pdf/illinois-general-affidavit.pdf

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello

could we get the consumer protection at the top of this document corrected, to indicate traffic.

thank you

jeremy XXXXX