LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.

Hello, I just found the car that I want to buy 60 miles from

Hello, I just found the car that I want to buy 60 miles from my house. I want to pay for the car to the actual owner and drive it home, so Monday I can go to the DMV to transfer the title, register and get a tag. Do I have right to drive it home with out tag?
Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

1. In what state are you buying the car, and in what state do you live?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good evening,

Thanks for clarifying that.

Unless you live out of state, under FL law, if you buy a car from a private seller they are supposed to remove the plate from the vehicle before you take the car home---and you may not operate the car without a temporary tag.

You are supposed to go to the local tag office with the seller and get your registration first. If your seller will allow you to drive home and then remove the tag, then great---but the law requires that you have a valid tag on the car to even drive it home.

If you are stopped---and there is a good chance you will be in aXXXXX--then if you don't have a tag or a temp tag from Motor Vehicles---you will be ticketed.

His registration is still valid---so talk him into letting you mail the plate back to him. So long as you have insurance already, it will be alright, and he loses nothing---including the sale.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Carlos. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.