How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SmithEsq Your Own Question
SmithEsq, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 114
Experience:  Criminal Law Attorney with extensive trial experience.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
SmithEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive lived in Las Vegas since 2/2013. My vehicle is register

This answer was rated:

I've lived in Las Vegas since 2/2013. My vehicle is register in CA. Upon arriving I called dmv and told them that my residence is in CA, I asked them about having to register the car in NV. I was told that as long as I was a seasonal resident I was OK. Two days ago the Constable gave me a fixer ticket and a lien was put on my vehicle. I paid the $100 to remove the lien. Dmv never told me about a seasonal permit that I would need to carry with me. I have 30 days to register my vehicle or be in court on 10/1/2013. I have no problem registering the vehicle at dmv. I want to retain my CA license. I am here with my wife, we are both retired. We rented an apt to see if Las Vegas was where we wanted to by a condo. This entire thing is getting out of hand what should we do?

SmithEsq :


SmithEsq :

I was hoping to catch you online so we could attack this problem live. I am a licensed attorney and will be working on your question. Give me a little time to do a bit of research to see what I can find and I will return.

SmithEsq :

Looking at Nevada DMV law on registering here: It's clear that while you ay not be a resident, nonresidents who spend more than 30 days in Nevada per year are required to register in Nevada even though nonresidents usually are not required to do so. The requirement of a seasonal permit is right there in the DMV law that I cited and excepts seasonal residents, requring that they register the same as residents. With your facts, no apparent facts which would create an exception apply. You're lucky this didn't happen sooner. But now that you know the law you can protect yourself because it can get very expensive ($1,000 fine).

SmithEsq :

I'm sorry I couldn't give you good news-I hope you don't hold it against me but I have to tell it to you like it is.

SmithEsq :

So, although this answer was not what you wanted, I hope you have found my answer and service to be excellent and worthy of 3-5 stars so that I get credit for my work. If you have more questions go ahead and ask them, as I will be here for you to ask follow up questions as well, even after you rate. Thank you for the chance to help you today.

SmithEsq, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 114
Experience: Criminal Law Attorney with extensive trial experience.
SmithEsq and 3 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you

USe the box below if you have folllow up questions, otherwise please rate my answer 3-5 stars. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Like I stated in my question it is not a problem registering my vehicle in nv. Would I have to change my ca. license to a nv. license, in order to register the vehicle? If I can keep my ca. license, what would happen if the ca. police would stop me during my time in ca.?



Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Thank you for your question. Your previous expert appears to have gone off line. Your previous expert was correct on the registration of the vehicle, but you do not need to change your license to do so, you need to apply for a "seasonal resident Identification" and prove seasonal resident status and with that ID you can register your car in NV.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is required for seasonal resident status?

Under NV law, you have to prove that you live in NV at least 31 consecutive days a year, that you have a residence in NV by showing a lease or utility bills, that you do not work regularly in NV, that you go to your primary residence at least once a year and prove a mortgage or lease and utilities are paid in another state, that you pay taxes in the other state and you vote in the other state. Upon providing these proofs they will grant a Seasonal Resident ID.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I think I rated the wrong guy the rating should go to you.

That is fine, I answered that way because he did the heavy lifting and I intended to merely support his answer.