Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 year experience including traffic law.

Car in front of me stopped suddenly when the traffic light

Car in front of me stopped suddenly when the traffic light was starting to change from green to yellow. He was about 50 feet from the light. I was at a safe distance behind and applied my brakes for aXXXXXwas wet and my unfortunately I hit the backside of his car. I was cited. I look forward to your feedback

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

What precisely are your concerns which you would like me to address based on these circumstances?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My understanding of the traffic rule is that when the light turns yellow, the driver needs to stop unless it is unsafe for the drivers behind him. It was so sudden and close to the light, I need to know if I am still at fault.

Hello again, Bob, and thank you for clarifying that for me.

Yes, when a light turns yellow, a driver has the decision whether they can safely proceed through the intersection before the light turns red or not. If they cannot, then they must stop and generally the vehicles behind them have an obligation to maintain control of their vehicles at all times, even if the vehicle in front of them stops abruptly.

Therefore, whenever a vehicle collides with another vehicle from behind, the driver in the back is typically cited for failing to maintain control of their vehicle.

The facts you set out would typically support a citation being issued to you I'm afraid, even though the driver in front of you stopped abruptly. The law imposes a duty that you maintain control of your vehicle at all times, including being prepared to stop quickly if the vehicle in front of you stops suddenly. I'm sorry.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not certain if my second question came through regarding road conditions.

Did you receive it?

Hello again, Bob. I'm sorry but I did not receive a follow-up question from you. Please post it in this thread and I would be happy to respond to you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The road condition activated the traction mode on my vehicle. I was driving on an asphalt road which was wet from rain. While braking, it was obvious that the loss of traction was not going to stop the car in time. I had my foot on the brake for about 1/2 minute.

I see. A court would typically find that you should have been driving slower because of these conditions, which would not aid you in avoiding liability unfortunately. Even if the vehicle ahead of you hit another vehicle and was at fault for that, the law typically requires that you maintain control of your vehicle and avoid colliding with the vehicle in front of you. I'm sorry, but I don't see any mitigating factors here which could permit you to avoid liability.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thank you.

You are very welcome. I'm sorry I could not provide a more favorable answer for you this time based on the law.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.