socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  retired (mostly)
10097515

I am bi-coastal - I live in Ca & Pa - I have a Pa license &

I am bi-coastal - I live in Ca & Pa - I have a Pa license & my car has insurance & registration in Calif. - I got a ticket in Ca - do I need a CA license to go to traffic school? I went to traffic school years ago in Ca w/ a Pa license, but now the court is sending me a letter telling me I need a CA license?

Cal. Veh. Code 42005(a), provides: "Except as otherwise provided in this section, after a deposit of the fee under Section 42007 or bail, a plea of guilty or no contest, or a conviction, a court may order or permit a person who holds a noncommercial class C, class M1, or class M2 driver's license who pleads guilty or who pleads no contest or who is convicted of a traffic offense to attend a traffic violator school licensed pursuant to Chapter 1.5 (commencing with Section 11200) of Division 5."

The courts interpret the classifications in the section to mean a California issued drivers license. Therefore, a license from a different state renders the driver ineligible for traffic violator school.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But they let me go to traffic school before?
The law was amended in 2012, eff. Jan, 1, 2013.

I don't have a copy of the previous law, but it's likely that the changes are the reason for your difficulty. You could go to the courthouse and ask for a hearing before the judge. Perhaps he/she would be willing to interpret the law to permit you to use a PA equivalent license designation.