Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.

1.my license is suspended due to the first time dui in L.A county,CA., so, can I buy a new

1.my license is suspended due to the first time dui in L.A county,CA., so, can I buy a new car and sell the old one now?
2.if so ,can I install the ignition interlock device in my new car before I go DMV to change the title and apply the restricted license? if so, I don't need to go to DMV two or three times, haha~ thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Dimitry Esquire :

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Dimitry Esquire :

If your license is suspended, your right to own, sell, transfer, or purchase new property is not suspended with it.

Dimitry Esquire :

While you cannot operate or drive either the old vehicle or a new vehicle that you purchase, you can indeed purchase a new car even when you have a suspended license.

Customer:

ok good

Dimitry Esquire :

You, however, cannot install the interlock switch yourself--you would need to inform the DMV, bring the old vehicle and then the new vehicle for the formal interlock installation. Removing it yourself, or putting it on yourself could be considered tampering.

Dimitry Esquire :

Hope that helps!

Dimitry Esquire :

If satisfied with my assistance, please do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so I may obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Customer:

yea~i mean .. not install or remove bu myself

Customer:

i mean can i sell the old one before i go to install the device

Customer:

i just need to go to install the device in new car

Dimitry Esquire :

That's fine, that you can do, no problem. If the interlock is not yet installed, you can quickly sell the vehicle and obtain something else, then place the interlock on it.

Dimitry Esquire :

Just do not operate it yourself--it has to be driven and installed by a third party.

Dimitry Esquire :

Hope that clarifies and helps. Please be well and have a wonderful 4th of July weekend!

Dimitry Esquire :

Kindly do not forget to rate if satisfied with my assistance. Thank you!

Customer:

ok,if i just got a new car , i can go install the device on the new car before i go to DMV to change the title and apply the restricted license?

Customer:

you know what ,i dont want to go dmv two or three times

Dimitry Esquire :

I understand. Please see my answer above.

Dimitry Esquire :

You can sell the old vehicle, you can purchase a new vehicle, you can then install the interlock on the new vehicle when you apply for the license.

Dimitry Esquire :

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl31.htm

Dimitry Esquire :

A per the DMV requirements: he driver must submit either the Department of Motor Vehicles Ordered Verification of Ignition Interlock (DL 924) form or the Exemption for Ignition Interlock Device (DL 4054B) form to the DMV within 30 days from the mail date of the Order of Installment of an Ignition Interlock Device (DL 4054A) form.

Dimitry Esquire :

*The

Customer:

ok thank you sir

Customer:

appreciate it

Dimitry Esquire :

You are most welcome, glad to help.

Dimitry Esquire :

This way you have the link for your future steps

Customer:

clearly haha

Dimitry Esquire :

And can ensure that you are following the steps listed in order.

Customer:

ok

Dimitry Esquire :

Please be well and have a wonderful rest of the 4th of July holiday.

Dimitry Esquire :

And kindly do not forget to rate, take care!

Customer:

haha no problem happy 4th of July

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Run my own practice.