Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My daughter bought a used vehicle. After having it repaired

My daughter bought a used vehicle. After having it repaired several times, daughter takes the car back and they, the used dealership, agrees to trade for a truck. Same money. No money changed hands. Now, the vehicle runs hot. Daughter was behind on her payments . Her Dad co signed for this vehicle. He went caught up notes and was going to bring truck home and use it himself. Truck breaks down on side of interstate. Running hot, etc. dad called dealership . They told us they would send their mechanic to pic up with a trailer. Now, they want us to pay wrecker fee and pay the notes on a broken down vehicle . The truck is one that has a blue book value of $3700.00. Daughter agreed with them to pay $15000.00 . We don't want this lemon. What can we do ?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

What state are you in, since only one or two states have laws governing used car purchases?

Did your daughter get a written warranty on this vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mississippi. 30 day warranty.
Thank you for your response.

Are you still in the warranty period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear that you are not in the warranty period, because this is a huge problem in MS. The MS courts hold that absent written warranty, used car sales are considered as is, which means the buyer is liable for any hidden defects on a used vehicle they buy. The court uses the term "caveat emptor" which means "buyer beware."

Even under the as is scheme, MS does recognize implied warranties, but they require you to prove that the seller actually knew of the defect before selling the vehicle to your daughter and this makes these implied warranties very difficult to win in court.

First, the implied warranty of merchantability, requires you to prove the seller knew he vehicle was not fit for its intended purpose at the time he made the sale to her.

Second, the implied warranty of good faith and fair dealing again requires you prove he knew of the defect at the time of sale and he intentionally concealed that defect from her.

I am afraid though that aside from proving that they knew of this defect prior to the sale or the vehicle being covered under written warranty, the MS consumer laws provide pretty much no protection at all on a used vehicle purchase.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law